Backgroumd

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Ornithophobia


Before I begin this story, let me tell you that I know that what I am about to share is completely absurd but, this is why I have to share it with all of you...
There had been a scratching sound coming from our laundry room for a few days. I knew that it was coming from the dryer vent. At first, I thought it was a mouse. Ryan however noticed a bird flying into the vent a few days ago. A smart little bird had began to build a nest in our dryer vent. I lovingly informed Ryan that It was his job to move the dryer, which he did. I am surprised the the dryer was working at all due to all of the grass and twigs that were stuffed in the vent along with four baby bird eggs. I decided to head to the store to pick up a vent tube. Ryan, decided to go golfing and forgot to push the dryer back.
Upon my return, I put Madi down for a nap and began to clean up the house. "Is that bird shit on my coffee table?" I asked myself. At that very moment, a heard a faint rustling of feathers. My ass has not run up a flight of stairs so fast in my life! Yes my friends apparently I have a fear of birds. I honestly had no idea until I was in a full blown panic attack locked in our bedroom. I was hyperventilating and broke out into hives all over my body. I called my husband. A stream of obscenities that I did not even know was possible came flying out of me as I informed him of the terror I was experiencing. He questioned "Do you think it is going to peck you to death? Go open the door and get the damn bird out of he house!" After he talked me down it took me another 30 minutes to get the courage to open the door. I looked down the stairs and there it was, a robin, staring back at me!
"Tweet"
That little conversation sent me screaming back into the bedroom for yet another slight panic. Finally, I managed to open the door again and saw the little thing fly into the laundry room. I ran down the hall closed the door. I had trapped it! You can't believe how proud I was. After a bit of relief, I then remembered that it would be hours before Ryan would return. I was on my own. So, once Madi was awake, we hightailed it out of there.
We spent the remainder of the day at the park. Finally, my virulent husband returned to rescue me from the beast. It only took him a second to catch the now exhausted bird and let it free outside. He then also informed me that there was not one, but two birds in the laundry room. Ugh. That was about all I could take. I went to bed.
I dreamed of birds all night long. I woke my hubby up a few times throughout the night telling him that "I can hear them, there in the house again! They know I killed it's babies!" He rolled over.
In the morning I had finally come to my senses and had gotten over the whole event. Just as I began to walk down stairs, what do I see but the damn bird, flapping hysterically and pecking at the window.
"It's come back for me!!" I screamed as I called Ryan and 7:00 in the morning.
I believe that my husband now thinks that I am a bit crazy and quite frankly, so do I. But at least the event made a great story to tell the guys on the golf course and all of you!

Luvs,
C

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Oh my gosh! I would have died. I am terrified of birds! Your a lot braver than me!

The Gearys said...

haha that story is CRAZY! I was not expecting that at all when I starting reading your post! I have a huge fear of birds also- birds are nice to watch... from a distance:)(not in your home)Love the story and glad you and Madi made it out ok.
p.s. the part where Ryan is golfing during this crazy event made me laugh pretty hard... i guess men sometimes don't see the danger in things that we see :)