Backgroumd

Saturday, January 15, 2011

HSP

Just an FYI to all you Mom's out there, if your child's feet ever look like this......




your in for a long road!

HSP
"Henoch-Schonlein purpura (HEH-nawk SHURN-line PUR-puh-ruh) is a type of vasculitis, a group of disorders that cause blood vessel inflammation. In Henoch-Schonlein purpura, this inflammation causes bleeding in the small blood vessels (capillaries) in your skin, joints, intestines and kidneys. The main symptom is a purplish rash, typically on the lower legs and buttocks. Henoch-Schonlein purpura also often causes abdominal pain and aching joints, and in some people, kidney problems."

It took many Doctor's visits this week to finally get a diagnosis as to what the hell Madi had. They believe that the HSP was triggered by the strep that she came down with while in Mexico.
Other than looking like she's been beaten by a baseball bat, Madi seems to be back to normal. Kidney function is fine and blood levels are appropriate. It should work it's way out of her system in about 4 weeks. Yes, FOUR WEEKS! Poor baby...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My daughter is going through this right now. She's on he second breakout. Her PCP & an ER doc said she had a viral vasculetes. Not giving me any info I of course did research & I ended up on the UW Madison website. I found the HSP & I'm not happy about how the doctors treated her as if she had a broken finger nail or something instead of this major, rare deasese. I've found a wonderful site on Facebook that promotes awareness. I did find that HSP has been known to reoccur years after the first time. Even having years of outbreaks one after another. I'm very afraid for my daughter. She's only 4another & I hate seeing her suffer. As of right now she's ok. Only having the first symptoms. Elevated white blood cells were found in her urine & blood her blood was abnormal with her PTT being 35.8 of the norm 25.4-34.9. She's going for a blood draw on friday. I'm going to demand a skin biopsy to check for the correct diagnosis. Just to be sure. I hope your son stays heathy.

Anonymous said...

Woops! Sorry, I hope your (daughter) Madi stays healthy:*/!